Is Speech Therapy Right for Me?Each person visiting our office will participate in an evaluation, after which, a speech therapy program will be created to meet your individual needs. The duration and frequency of therapy sessions will be discussed with you based on the results of the evaluation.
When is an evaluation/therapy needed?
- If you have been referred by a doctor
- There is a medical condition, which could impact communication abilities such as cleft lip, cleft palate, autism, hearing impaired, cerebral palsy, traumatic brain injury, stroke, etc.
- A parent is concerned about speech and language development
- A child is not talking or saying any words by 18 months old – research shows children who begin therapy programs before 3 years-old have better outcomes
- Cognitive (thinking) or other developmental delays
- Concerns about dysfluency (stuttering)
- Respiratory (breathing) problems
- Weak oral muscles, oral-motor difficulties
- Swallowing disorders
- Motor planning problems
- There is any frustration with communication abilities